Palazzo Cendon was built in 1437 by a rich family of Venetian merchants: the Cendons.
The Cendons were “cittadini originarii,” or original citizens, a social class directly below the Venetian nobility. Like the nobility, many of the cittadini originarii adopted heraldic shields and coats of arms claiming ancient or Roman origins. It is still possible to see the shield of the Cendons on the façade of the building: a carved shield in the middle of which appears a spear adorned with three stars. On the lower part of the shield appears an inscription: “Centonia Fam. Nob. Olim Rom. Parm. Q. Ex Qua Pata Et Vene. Civil. MCCCCXXXVII”. According to this family history, the Centon or Cendon family flourished first in Rome and Parma and than moved to Padua and eventually Venice.
The Cendons were very reputable merchants who acquired great wealth and erected several buildings in the Cannaregio area of the city. In 1500 the Cendon family extended the palace (as it’s testified by a stone inscription in the entrance) and commissioned a dedicated chapel in the nearby church of S. Giobbe. In the church it’s possible to see also the modified coat of arms with a lion on a ladder. After meny years and a careful renovation, today Palazzo Cendon comes back to its original spendour and open its doors to italian and international guests and friends, as it was at the time of the Serenissima Republic of Venice.
On the lower part of the shield appears an inscription: “Centonia Fam. Nob. Olim Rom. Parm. Q. Ex Qua Pata Et Vene. Civil. MCCCCXXXVII”